Monday, October 1, 2007

Gone Camping

The Cavaliers first day back to school – marred by an injury and a pair of contract disputes – wasn’t exactly the start they had hoped for. But as Training Camp tips off on Monday night, the squad is still rested, ready and carrying a big chip on their collective shoulders from last June.

LeBron came to camp fresh off his solid gold performance on the season premier of “Saturday Night Live” and he expected much ribbing by his teammates – although not for his dancing. (“None of those guys can dance!” he shrugged.)

Monday marked the annual feeding frenzy known as Media Day – a chance for local scribes and talking heads to run the squad through the wringer. Naturally, the dominant topic wasn’t on the players that were there, but more on who wasn’t: Anderson Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic.

Technically, neither player is “holding out” in the traditional, Brady Quinn sense. But that’s only because neither is under contract and their one-year qualifying offers expired at midnight.

“They’re two terrific young men and terrific players, but we have guys right here in Camp today that I know, as a coach, I have to focus on and start getting better with,” said Mike Brown. “That’s going to work out however it may, but right now I’m just happy and looking forward to working with the guys I have here in Camp.”

Anderson is the Cavaliers’ energy player off the bench, is equally effective at two front court positions and has been a crowd favorite since his arrival. Pavlovic finished last season as the squad’s starting two-guard, with the Cavaliers going 21-8 with him in the starting lineup. Both players have threatened to play overseas.

“We respect Danny. And we respect Sasha and Andy,” quipped Donyell Marshall. “But we’re here to play basketball. That’s part of the business and we know that. Is it a difficult time? Yeah. Because we’re starting the season without two of our main players – but that’s the way the business goes.”

“For me, as a leader, I hope something can get done,” added LeBron. “I don’t know Sasha’s or Anderson’s side. I don’t know Danny’s side. But I need my soldiers here to play. I hope something can get worked out because – no matter how you look at it – those two guys are a big part of our team.”

To Danny Ferry’s credit, he didn’t sit still while waiting on his two young international players – swinging a pair of productive deals over the weekend. Devin Brown is a versatile guard who can play three positions and Cedric Simmons is a 21-year-old athletic, shot-blocking forward.

“This is part of the business side of sports,” said Ferry. “It happens in baseball; it happens in football. This is part of it. And this is something that professional players, coaches and front office people – you can’t allow it to distract you. You go out, have a great Camp, and try to get those issues resolved – one way or the other – through the process.”


  • Eric Snow will be sidelined at least four weeks after he undergoes arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn left meniscus that he suffered last Tuesday after a workout.

    “I knew right away it was something – I felt it pop. I didn’t think it was (hurt) to the extent that it was. But I knew it was something.”

    Snow’s injury makes the weekend signing of Devin Brown even more prescient. Brown – along with Boobie Gibson, Shannon Brown and Damon Jones – will pick up the slack for the Canton Bulldog, who hurt his knee right after a standard workout.

    “I’ve never had any trouble with my knee,” said Snow. “That night, I worked out, felt a little pop and finished working out. I stretched, iced and finished the rest of my physical. I got on a plane, went back to Atlanta and it just kept getting worse – swelling up, swelling up. Went in to get treatment, checked out in Atlanta and found out it was a torn meniscus.

    “Initially, once the swelling went down I thought it would be OK. It was something I’ve never experienced, but it could have been a lot worse.”


  • Damon Jones wasn’t in his usual ebullient mood on Monday morning – and LeBron might have been the host of a comedy show – but the DJ can still rattle off the one-liners with the best of them.

    When asked about what was new in the off-season, Jones said: “I had a great summer. I tested positive … for being handsome.”


  • Zydrunas Ilgauskas and his newly shaved and streamlined head isn’t the only player who comes to Training Camp with a new look. Drew Gooden might have lost the duck tail, but he did acquire some new ink.

    Gooden’s left bicep is freshly adorned with a colorful wrap-around tattoo that’s truly too complex to describe – even Drew couldn’t put it into exact words. The good news is that it looks really cool. The bad news is that it’s a 20-hour project to complete the tattoo and Gooden still has 10 hours left before it’s finished.


  • Larry Hughes worked on his jumper this summer, and who better to coach him than legendary Cavalier sharpshooter, Mark Price.

    “We worked on a little balance,” said Hughes. “Just minor things really. He said I had good form and good technique and there were just some minor things that he had to tweak. I had developed some bad habits, but playing so much and so many games, it’s hard to correct those things while the season’s going.”


  • LeBron James has taken his share of heat for admitting that he’ll root for the Yankees when the Tribe takes them on when the ALDS begins this Tuesday. But he was quick to qualify his comments.

    “I didn’t just pick the Yankees, I’ve been a Yankee all my life,” James smiled. “If the Indians are playing anyone besides the Yankees, I want the Indians to win. It’s just like with the Browns. If the Browns play anyone else besides the Cowboys I want the Browns to win. It’s as simple as that.”
  • No comments: